Where in the World are iTutor Group Teachers: Lisburn, Northern Ireland
This is a series for iTutorGroup consultants from all over the world.
As a big international family,
from more than 80 countries.
we would like to hear from you!
We can relate here,
from teaching inspiration to ideas for staying healthy,
here you will find a place to laugh, vent and get reinvigorated to teach.
❤️ iTutorGroup Connects Us ❤️
Hi! I’m Kathryn!
🎉 We are back with our Where in the World are iTutorGroup Teachers series! 🎉
And we have our very special guest Kathryn with us today.
Tell us a little bit about yourself and your hometown!
My name is Kathryn Louise Millar and I come from Lisburn, a small city in Northern Ireland, UK. My city is a small market town that is bustling with great coffee shops and interesting history as a linen producing town. It is located just twenty minutes away from the bustling, vibrant capital city of Belfast, yet is nestled in the rolling green hills of the Irish countryside.
I lived here until I finished high school where I moved across-the-pond, as we say in Northern Ireland, to attend University in Glasgow, Scotland. I lived there for 5 amazing years and loved every minute! I studied English and History and then stayed on to study a Masters in Museum studies because I love history, art and heritage! I never thought I would pursue teaching as a career because as much as I love to teach, I love to travel too and didn’t want to commit to staying in one place – this is how I found out about iTutor Group! Working for them has been a dream come true because I can combine my two passions and work from home, wherever that may be!
Share a story with us and iTutorGroup!
I started in April 2018 so I’m still a baby with the company haha!
I was living in Paris at the time, developing a voluntary art project that sought to spread awareness about human trafficking. I was also teaching English to refugees in Paris and loved it! Finding myself in need of some funds, I started looking for online jobs. I applied for a job with iTutorGroup and after being recruited, I haven’t looked back! I can now say that I am one of those people who loves their job and really is living the dream!
I love the company so much because there is always an opportunity to grow and develop my skills. There is so much training and support given from HQ and the clients I teach are simply wonderful!
An unforgettable experience with iTutorGroup
One particular story I will always remember was with a boy I was teaching who was studying English to go to high school in the UK the following year. He shared with me that he was nervous about going and we talked about our shared love for Harry Potter! By the end of the class, as well as teaching him and encouraging him in his English, I was also able to encourage him with his plans to travel and motivate him by telling him how good he was. He got to improve his pronunciation in the class and he felt so much more at ease because I was from the UK. He told me that he was excited to go to England now because he had experienced talking with a native British person and so his fears were alleviated! This brought me so much joy and is why I think it is such a rewarding job.
I love encouraging students to pursue their dreams!
From Pottermore, by Jim Kay
Me and My Pipocas ❤
I LOVE animals! I love that I get to spend all day working at home so I can be with my dog and favorite work colleague – Pipocas!
She is Portuguese and her names means Popcorn! She is also learning English too and sometimes tries to sneak into my classes. While I teach she likes to lie on the sofa and practice her listening skills! Her favorite food is Popcorn and cheese. I also love horse riding when I am not teaching. This is my horse “Sintra” – he was rescued from a meat farm in Portugal and now he loves rolling in the dirt and eating mints! I love that I can share my passion and love for animals with my students, as we talk about what we like and learn animal vocabulary.
It is another special blessing about my job!
My teaching tips!
I have learned a lot in my time here with iTutorGroup so I would love to share with you some of my teaching tips to encourage you on your teaching journey.
- Teach with JOY：） In everything you do, whether it is a demo or a 45 min adult group class, teach with JOY! Joy is contagious and smiling is honestly so good for our health, but more than that, it is so important to present an enthusiastic, energetic approach to teaching. No-one will ever be motivated to learn if you are not motivated to teach.
- Use gestures. When teaching online, our hands, faces, and expressions are gold when it comes to teaching successfully. We need to communicate our joy in a very obvious, visible way – in more than just our words or tone. We need to use our hands, smile lots and raise our eyebrows to reflect what we are saying.
- Professionalism. Just because we work from the comfort of our home, does not mean we can be slack with our professionalism! It is so important to communicate a message of honour and respect to all of our clients, and iTutorGroup as well who we represent. Which means follow the guidelines, wear the correct uniform, use the backdrop. This is not only the respectful thing to do, but it will help you get more classes and benefit you as a Consultant too!
- Know the material. Being prepared is so important and knowing the material as well as developing your skills is vital to being a successful teacher. I like to attend Consultant Live Training Sessions as often as I can to stay refreshed and motivated – just because you don’t need to do some of the more specialist training, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. Stay on top of your game.
- Be friendly and approachable. When I was in school and I had a strict teacher who was unapproachable, I performed really badly in that class. We are Consultants who teach and encourage, not teachers who discipline and critique. With everything we do, it should be done with a friendly and approachable attitude.
So here are three slangs from Northern Ireland, do you know what they mean? Take a guess !
1. What’s the craic? (said like crack)
2. Go get your head showered
3. Ye buck eejit ye!
Comment below and share your guesses 😉
You could also tell us a slang from where you come from and let us guess.
Thank you for reading.
A special thanks to Kathryn
❤ Feel free to leave a comment below and meet everybody in this amazing big family! ❤
HELLO, from the other side of the world!
Also, we would LOVE to hear from YOU
You are more than welcome to Write For Us for this series “Where in the world are iTutorGroup Teachers”!
Looking forward to hearing from you!
A New Series is Coming Soon! ♪(＾∀＾●)ﾉ